Planning Strategy Examination
The Council's Planning Strategy was submitted to the Secretary of State for examination in October 2012. All the submitted documents (including all the representations made to the formal Proposed Submission consultation) and the supporting evidence base are available on the Planning Strategy Submission page.
Mr Richard E Hollox BA(Hons) BSc(Econ) MPhil FRTPI FRICS was appointed as the independent Inspector to conduct the examination. A list of all the documents which made up the Hastings Planning Strategy Examination Library is provided in our Core Documents List.
Hearing sessions took place between 05 and 14 February. As a result of these and the revocation of the South East Plan, the Council consulted on their proposed Main Modifications between 20 May and 01 July 2013. Further details of this stage are available on the Proposed Main Modifications page.
The Hastings Planning Strategy 2011 to 2028 was adopted at Full Council on 19 February 2014. Our adoption statement and final documents can be found on our Planning Strategy Adoption page.
Lynette Duncan was appointed as Programme Officer to assist the Inspector in organising the hearings for the Examination, and to liaise with those organisations and individuals who made representations concerning the Planning Strategy. As the Examination has finished, any enquiries regarding the process undertaken should be addressed to the Planning Policy team on email@example.com or 01424 451098.
- Programme Officer's Introductory letter (.pdf 31KB)
- Examination Reply Slip (.pdf 21KB)
- Planning Strategy Examination documents list (.pdf 100KB)
- Programme Officer note: Strategic Housing Market Assessment update: 09 August 2013 (.pdf 22KB)
Examination Programme February 2013:
Hearing sessions took place on 05, 06, 07, 12, 13 and 14 February 2013 - a total of 6 days.
Hearing statements were prepared by the Council and Participants.
An additional hearing session was held on 10 September 2013.
The Inspector's documents:
- ID/1 guidance notes for Participants (.pdf 54KB)
- ID/2 Inspector's letter to Hastings Borough Council (.pdf 35KB)
- ID/3 Inspector's matters, issues and questions (.pdf 73KB)
- ID/4 Inspector's revised matters, issues and questions (.pdf 67KB)
- ID/5 Inspector's Exploratory meeting minutes (.pdf 49KB)
- ID/6 Inspector's Pre Hearing meeting notes (.pdf 66KB)
- ID/7 Model Policy (.pdf 57KB)
- ID/8 Suggested text re Infrastructure and Monitoring (.pdf 16KB)
- ID/9 Inspector's letter received 20 February 2013 (.pdf 38KB)
- ID/10 Inspector's letter to Council dated 28 February 2013 (.pdf 34KB)
- ID/11 Inspector's letter to Council dated 22 April 2013 (.pdf 36KB)
- ID/12 Inspector's letter to Council dated 29 April 2013 (.pdf 25KB)
- ID/13 Inspector's letter to Council dated 03 May 2013 (.pdf 56KB)
- ID/14 Inspector's letter to Council dated 16 July 2013 (.pdf 14KB)
- ID/15 Inspector's letter to Council dated 06 August 2013 (.pdf 31KB)
- HBC/1 Council's response to ID/2 (.pdf 51KB)
- Notice of Independent Examination (.pdf 82KB)
- HBC/1.5 - letter to Inspector dated 19 December 2012 (.pdf 27KB)
- HBC/2-HBC/8 Responses to Matters
- HBC/9 Duty to Co-operate Supplementary Information (.pdf 154KB)
- HBC/10 Opening statement read by Cllr Peter Chowney (.pdf 22KB)
- HBC/11 Minutes of Local Strategic Partnership meeting: 18 July 2011 (.pdf 79KB)
- HBC/12 Vacant office space at 06 February 2013 (.pdf 20KB)
- HBC/13 Response to Mr Bedford's, Rep 194 - Appendix 5 'Hastings housing numbers, 5 year land supply scenarios' (.pdf 172KB)
- HBC/14 email confirming Hastings Borough Council action points (.pdf 19KB)
- HBC/15 email confirming further action points (.pdf 57KB)
- HBC/16 Letter to Inspector 22 February 2013 (.pdf 54KB)
- HBC/17 Response to outstanding issues and queries raised during Examination Hearings (.pdf 540KB)
- HBC/18 Letter to Rother District Council 07 March 2013 (.pdf 27KB)
- HBC/19: link road funding confirmation (.pdf 29KB)
- HBC/20 Duty to cooperate reply from Rother DC 09 April 2013 (1257KB)
- HBC/21: letter to Inspector dated 17 April 2013 (.pdf 32KB)
- HBC/22: email to Inspector dated 15 April 2013 (.pdf 17KB)
- HBC/23: email to Inspector dated 26 April 2013 (.pdf 21KB)
- HBC/24: email to Inspector dated 01 May 2013 (.pdf 18KB)
- HBC/25: letter to Inspector dated 11 July 2013 with Main Modifications Consultation main issues raised table (.pdf 43KB)
- HBC/26: Table 1 - extract from Main Modifications - Delivering the Housing Allocation 2011 to 2028 (.pdf 20KB)
- HBC/27: Letter to Inspector dated 31 July 2013 (.pdf 327KB)
- HBC/28: letter to Inspector dated 27 August 2013 with additional examination hearing matters update (.pdf 154KB)
- Planning Strategy Core Documents list (.pdf 113KB)
- HBC/29 - opening statement to the resumed hearing session 10 September 2013 read by Cllr Peter Chowney (.pdf 231KB)