I need help about domestic abuse
If you have experienced domestic abuse it's important to get advice as soon as possible to help you remain safe:
If you are in immediate danger, please contact:
- Police on 999, or you can also use 101 to give information to the police or make an enquiry.
- Refuge on 0808 2000 247 (24 hour Freephone National Domestic Violence Helpline). Refuge's website also contains lots of useful information on domestic violence.
If you need emergency accommodation outside of office hours please telephone 01424 451999.
Domestic Abuse support available
The Portal - If you live in East Sussex, you can also contact The Portal who provide support for domestic abuse.
- Address: FSN, 66 London Road, St Leonards on Sea.
- Telephone 01424 716629 or 0300 323 9985 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm: ring for appointments).
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact The Portal for further advice and support if you are experiencing one of the following situations:
- Honour based violence: a crime or incident which has or may have been committed to protect or defend the honour of the family and/or community.
- Forced Marriage: a marriage conducted without the valid consent of one or both parties and where duress is a factor.
- Female Genital Mutilation: involves procedures to the female genital organs for cultural or other non-therapeutic reasons.
National Rape Crisis Helpline Rape Crisis Centres provide specialist support and services to women and girls who have experienced rape, sexual violence, or sexual abuse at any time.
- Telephone 0808 802 9999
- 12:00 - 14:30 and 19:00 - 21:30 daily
Men's Advice Line a confidential helpline for men experiencing domestic abuse from a partner or ex-partner (or from other family members). It provides emotional support, practical advice and signposts to other services for specialist help:
- Telephone 0808 801 0327
Galop supports LGBT victims of abuse, violence and discrimination through a variety of services. Helpline:
- Telephone 0800 999 5428
For information specific to migrants (including asylum seekers and refugees), go to our domestic violence information for migrants page.
Victim Support supports victims of crime to recover from the effects of crime and support witnesses to give evidence in court.
- If you have been affected by crime, call 0808 168 9274 9am-5pm Monday to Friday
- If you need support outside of open hours, call 0808 168 9111 or request support via the website.
The Sanctuary Scheme
The Sanctuary Scheme can fit extra security measures, such as door chains and window and door locks, to support people to stay in their homes and feel safe. The scheme is voluntary, free and available to you whether you are a homeowner or a tenant as long as you are eligible.
- Telephone 01424 451100
- Email email@example.com.
I need housing help