Site reference: TC6
Site name: Former Post Office, Cambridge Road and former University of Brighton building, Priory Quarter
Focus Area/Strategic Policy: Focus Area 1: Hastings Central
Use: Commercial/employment led mixed use. Option to include residential uses.
Indicative capacity (net residential dwellings/floorspace): 2,900sqm
Site specific development considerations based on draft Local Plan policies:
Development on this site should:
- Enhance public realm within Priory Square, including policy compliant 'greening' to the site in a form appropriate to the urban setting, seating and improvements to open space to encourage active and positive daytime use and support the promotion of Priory Street as a secondary route to the Town Centre and Bohemia
- Provide for active uses at ground floor level which should include retail, leisure or other town centre complimentary uses which also preserve the frontage of the former post office building.
- Preserve and enhance the setting of the conservation area and long-range views of and from Hastings Castle
- Take appropriate measures to mitigate the impact of noise on residential dwellings due to location within the active night time economy setting
- Include easements for works and infrastructure access to surrounding premises
- Provide 25% affordable housing where new residential development is built in line with Policy SP2
- Secure Priory Square at street level to Priory Street and Havelock Road to support community cohesion
The following image shows a map of the site boundary
© Crown Copyright and database rights . OS . Use of this data is subject to terms and conditions. You are granted a non-exclusive, royalty free, revocable licence solely to view the Licensed Data for non-commercial purposes for the period during which Hastings Borough Council makes it available. You are not permitted to copy, sub-license, distribute, sell or otherwise make available the Licenced Data to third parties in any form. Third party rights to enforce the terms of this licence shall be reserved to OS.