I'm having problems paying my mortgage
If you have fallen into arrears with your mortgage and are worried that your home will be repossessed, the first thing you should do is contact your mortgage lender.
If you are unable to agree an affordable repayment plan with your lender the following services may be able to help with your situation:
- Citizens Advice can provide financial advice about your mortgage
- BHT Hastings Advice delivers a 'duty advice desk' which provides homeowners facing repossession with free legal advice and representation at court before a hearing
- Shelter - mortgage arrears has a range of information for homeowners who are in danger of losing their homes, including tackling mortgage arrears, negotiating with lenders, reducing your monthly mortgage repayments and renting or selling your home
- Money Advice Service for free and impartial money advice.
The National Homelessness Advice Service has produced a leaflet:
If you feel you need local housing support to help you manage the issues associated with your mortgage and you are aged 60+, STEPS services may be able to help you:
- telephone 0300 123 2422
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
I'm a homeowner