Terms and conditions
Garden waste collections resuming
Garden waste collections will resume on Monday 20 April
Your collection will take place on your normal collection day which can be found here. Please make sure your bin is out by 7am.
Please don't overload your bin, as we cannot lift bins that are too heavy.
We will not be collecting any extra garden waste so please save it for the next collection.
Any missed bins should be reported via my.hastings.gov.uk
An extra month has been added to your garden waste subscription, to compensate for the recent suspended service.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. Collections will not take place over the Christmas and New Year period. Collections will be suspended in the event of severe weather conditions or events beyond the Council's control.
2. The Garden Waste scheme period is for 12 months from the start of your subscription. A direct debit mandate needs to be completed at the time of application.
If you have provided an email address we will send your renewal invoice via this method.
3. Direct Debit Renewal- we will send you an invoice to confirm when your renewal payment will be taken, usually the 1st of the month, however a minimum of 10 days' notice will be given. If you need to amend or cancel a Direct Debit we require a minimum of 10 days' notice.
For more detail please read the direct debit guarantee. If the renewal payment fails, we will ask you to make payment by other means and setup another direct debit within 7 days. If you fail to do both of these your subscription will be cancelled automatically.
4. If your direct debit is cancelled at any time, we will ask you to setup up another as soon as possible. If you fail to setup another direct debit, your subscription will cease and your bin(s) will be removed at time of renewal.
5. In the event that you cancel your subscription but you decide to re-apply within 12 months a bin re-delivery charge of £30 will be applied.
6. Assisted collections are not automatically available. All properties requiring assistance will need to be assessed and approved before payment is taken and collections commence.
If you think you will need an assisted collection please contact 01424 451077 for us to arrange an assessment.
7. No refunds will be given for early cancellations.
8. Garden waste bins can only be delivered to your property and are not available for you to collect personally.
You may receive a garden waste bin that has been used previously but it will be clean and ready for use.
9. The garden waste bin remains the property of Hastings Borough Council and we reserve the right to charge for lost or damaged bins. The garden waste bin is your responsibility and should be kept safely and securely on your property. Garden waste bins must not be stored on the highway. The householder is responsible for the safe use of the garden waste bin and Hastings Borough Council will accept no liability for injury due to improper use.
10. If you move property within the Borough you can transfer your bin to your new address. You must notify Hastings Borough Council of any change of address.
Please take the garden bin with you when you move.
11. The garden waste bin is not transferrable to a new resident.
12. When you need your garden waste bin to be emptied, it must be placed no more than one metre from the edge of your property next to the highway or at a collection point agreed by Hastings Borough Council by 7am on the day of collection.
The garden waste bin must be clearly visible and unobstructed. Hastings Borough Council reserves the right to change the usual collection day but will notify residents in advance. To find out what day your garden waste bin is due for collection sign up to a My Hastings account at my.hastings.gov.uk
13. Hastings Borough Council will only collect loose organic waste in these bins such as grass cuttings, wood chippings, hedge trimmings, small branches not exceeding 10 cm's (4 inches) in diameter, cut flowers, fallen leaves, plant cuttings, plants and weeds.
14. Garden waste bins containing any other material including soil/earth, kitchen waste of any sort, paper, card, shredded paper, clothing, bagged materials or any inorganic materials such as plastics will not be collected. Waste from meat eating pets such as cats or dogs will not be accepted and classed as contamination. Checks are made and repeated misuse may result in the removal of your garden waste bin with no refund.
15. All organic materials need to be in the bin with the lid closed; an overfilled bin will not be collected. Any waste left at the side of or next to the bin will not be collected. Please ensure that all waste placed in the bin is loose and not in bags of any kind.
16. If we miss your bin on your collection day, you must contact us by close of business the following working day to arrange collection.
You can do this through my.hastings.gov.uk.
17. Hastings Borough Council reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions of the scheme at any time.
Got a question about garden waste?
CommentsThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Waste and Recycling team.