Terms and conditions
1. Collections will not take place over the Christmas and New Year period and we reserve the right to suspend collections in the event of severe weather conditions or events beyond the Council’s control.
2. The Garden Waste scheme period is for 12 months from the start of your membership. A direct debit mandate needs to be completed at the time of application. If you have provided an email address we will send your renewal invoice via this method. If your annual direct debit renewal payment is unsuccessful, your collection will cease and your bin(s) will be removed.
3. Direct Debit Renewal- we will notify you via email (if provided) to confirm when your renewal payment will be taken, usually the 1st of the month, however a minimum of 10 days’ notice will be given. You must notify us if you cancel your direct debit, if you fail to make the renewal payment please see term 2. We require a minimum of 10 days to amend or cancel a Direct Debit. Please read the direct debit guarantee.
4. In the event that you cancel your subscription but you decide to re-apply within 12 months a re-delivery charge of £30 will also be applied.
5. Assisted collections are not automatically available. All properties requiring assistance will need to be assessed and approved before payment is taken and collections commence. If you think you will need an assisted collection please contact 01424 451077 for us to arrange an assessment.
6. No refunds will be given for early cancellations of your annual payment.
7. Garden waste bins can only be delivered to your premises and are not available for you to collect personally. You may receive a garden waste bin that has been used previously but it will be clean and ready for use.
8. The garden waste bin remains the property of Hastings Borough Council and reserves the right to charge for lost or damaged bins. The garden waste bins are your responsibility and should be kept safely and securely on your property at a location of your choice. Garden waste bins must not be stored on the highway. The householder is responsible for the safe use of the garden waste bin and Hastings borough Council will accept no liability for injury due to improper use.
9. If you move property you can transfer your bin to your new residence, if it is still within our Borough, but you will need to notify Hastings Borough Council of any change of address, please take the garden bin with you when you move.
10. The garden waste bin is not transferrable to a new resident.
11. When you need your garden waste bin to be emptied, it must be placed no more than one metre from the edge of your property next to the highway or at a collection point agreed by Hastings Borough Council by 7am on the day of collection. The garden waste bin must be clearly visible and unobstructed. Hastings Borough Council reserves the right to change the usual collection day but will notify residents in advance. To find out what day your garden waste bin is due for collection sign up to a My Hastings account at my.hastings.gov.uk.
12. Hastings Borough Council will only collect loose organic waste in these bins such as grass cuttings, wood chippings, hedge trimmings, small branches not exceeding 10 cm’s (4 inches) in diameter, cut flowers, fallen leaves, plant cuttings, plants and weeds.
13. Garden waste bins containing any other material including soil/earth, kitchen waste of any sort, paper, card, shredded paper, clothing, bagged materials or any inorganic materials such as plastics will not be collected. Waste from meat eating pets such as cats or dogs will not be accepted and classed as contamination. Checks are made and repeated misuse may result in the removal of your garden waste bin with no refund.
14. All organic materials need to be in the bin with the lid closed; an overfilled bin will not be collected. Any waste left at the side of or next to the bin will not be collected. Please ensure that all waste placed in the garden waste bin, is left loose and not in bags of any kind.
15. If we miss your bin on your collection day, you must contact us by close of business the following working day to arrange collection. You can do this through the my.Hastings.gov.uk site or contact us on 01424 451077.
16. Hastings Borough Council reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions of the scheme at any time without reference to householders.
- Book a bulky waste collection
- Report a missed bin collection
- Pink recycling bags for assisted collections
- Bins - deliver, exchange, remove
- Clinical Collections - collect, missed or cancel
- Bins - request assisted collection
Got a question about waste and recycling?01424 451077
CommentsThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Waste and Recycling team.