Terms and conditions
- The Garden Waste scheme period is for 12 months from the start of your membership. Hastings Borough Council will invoice you for your renewal payment and this must be received by the due date; reminders will not be sent out. If you have provided an email address we will send your renewal invoice via this method. If your annual payment has not cleared by the due date your collection will cease. In the event that you would like the collection to resume you will need to re-apply to sign up to the scheme again.
- If your subscription is cancelled and you sign up again within 12 months we may charge £30 for redelivery of the bin.
- Assisted collections are not automatically available. All properties requiring assistance will need to be assessed and approved before payment is taken and collections commence.
- No refunds will be given for early cancellations of your annual payment.
- Garden waste bins can only be delivered to your premises and are not available for collection. You may receive a garden waste bin that has been used previously but will be clean and ready for use.
- The garden waste bin remains the property of Hastings Borough Council.
- The garden waste bins are your responsibility and should be kept safely and securely on your property at a location of your choice. Garden waste bins must not be stored on the highway.
- Hastings Borough Council reserves the right to charge for lost or damaged bins.
- The householder is responsible for the safe use of the garden waste bin and Hastings borough Council will accept no liability for injury due to improper use.
- If you move property within Hastings you can transfer your bin to your new residence if it is still within the Borough. You will need to notify Hastings Borough Council of any change of address, please take the garden bin with you when you move.
- The garden waste bin is not transferrable to a new resident.
- If you require a collection, the garden waste bin must be presented no more than one metre from the edge of your property adjoining the highway or at a collection point agreed by Hastings Borough Council by 7am on the day of collection. The garden waste bin must be clearly visible and unobstructed. Hastings Borough council reserves the right to change the collection day but will notify residents in advance.
- Please ensure that all waste placed in the garden waste bin is left loose and not contained in bags of any kind.
- Hastings Borough Council will only collect loose organic waste such as grass cuttings, wood chippings, hedge trimmings, small branches not exceeding 10 cm's (4 inches) in diameter, cut flowers, fallen leaves, plant cuttings, plants and weeds.
- Garden waste bins containing any other material including soil/earth, kitchen waste of any sort, paper, card, shredded paper, clothing, bagged materials or any inorganic materials such as plastics will not be collected. Waste from meat eating pets such as cats or dogs will not be accepted and classed as contamination. Checks are made and repeated misuse may result in the removal of your garden waste bin with no refund.
- All materials need to be contained in the bin with the lid closed; an overfilled bin will not be collected. Any waste not presented in the bin will not be collected.
- If we miss your bin you must contact us on the day of collection or by close of business the following working day to arrange collection.
- Collections will not take place over the Christmas and New Year and we reserve the right to suspend collections in the event of severe weather conditions or events beyond the Council's control.
- Hastings Borough Council reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions of the scheme at any time without reference to householders.
- If you have signed up to direct debit, we will notify you via email (if provided) to confirm when money will be taken, this will be a minimum of 10 days' notice. You must notify us if you cancel your direct debit, if you fail to make the renewal payment please see term 1. Please read the direct debit guarantee.
- Book a bulky waste collection
- Report a missed bin collection
- Pink recycling bags for assisted collections
- Bins - deliver, exchange, remove
- Clinical Collections - collect, missed or cancel
- Bins - request assisted collection
Got a question about waste and recycling?01424 451077
CommentsThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Waste and Recycling team.