Planning service review
Hastings Borough Council's planning service has been reviewed by the Planning Advisory Service.
The Planning Advisory Service report was very positive about the service and considers it to be running well. It notes Hastings is performing to a high level with a low number of appeals and a good success record.
The report noted the difficultly in recruiting staff and resultant high workloads and commented that: 'The team is rightly proud of the efforts they have made to maintain a good level of service through this difficult period. They should take credit for getting things done quickly, their recovery from a poor spell and for their current performance levels.'
Other positive aspects included:
- Keeping in touch with people.
- Discussing applications with applicants and agents to secure a positive outcome.
- Using the 21 day letter to outline issues early in the process.
- Working efficiently - the Council uses IDOX Acolaid software to assist the processing of applications.
- Clear work processes.
The report also suggested some areas for improvement. These included:
- Ensuring the capacity of the team is maintained.
- Presenting Council schemes to councillors before planning applications are made.
- Changing the scheme of delegation and adding more standard text to reports on Acolaid, where possible.
The report concluded by noting the enthusiasm of the staff and willingness to engage and deliver a good service to its customers.
Want to read more?
Read the full Planning Advisory Service report.
Planning service news