Planning application fees
You can calculate your planning application fee using the Planning Portal's online fee calculator.
All outline applications
- Where site area does not exceed 2.5 hectares - £462 for each 0.1 hectare of the site area
- Where the site area exceeds 2.5 hectares - £11,432 and an additional £138 for each 0.1 hectare in excess of 2.5 hectares, subject to a maximum of £150,000.
- Alterations/extensions to a single dwelling (excluding flats), including works within boundary - £206
(and First submission of reserved matters; or Technical Details Consent)
The erection of dwellinghouses
- Where the number of dwellinghouses to be created by the development does not exceed 50 - £462 for each dwellinghouse.
- Where the number of dwellinghouses to be created by the development exceeds 50 - £22,859 and an additional £138 for each dwellinghouse in excess of 50 dwellinghouses, subject to a maximum of £300,000.
The erection of buildings
- Where no floor space is to be created by the development - £234
- Where the area of gross floor space to be created by the development does not exceed 40 square metres - £234
- Where the area of gross floor space to be created by the development exceeds 40 square metres, but does not exceed 75 square metres - £462
- Where the area of gross floor space to be created by the development exceeds 75 square metres, but does not exceed 3750 square metres - £462 for each 75 square metres
- Where the area of gross floor space to be created by the development exceeds 3750 square metres - £22,859 and an additional £138 for each 75 square metres, subject to a maximum of £300,000.
The enlargement, improvement or other alteration of existing dwellinghouse including works within boundary
- Where the application relates to one dwellinghouse - £206.
- Where the application relates to 2 or more dwellinghouses - £407.
Works within the curtilage of an existing dwellinghouse
- The carrying out of operations (including the erection of a building) within the curtilage of an existing dwellinghouse, for purposes ancillary to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such, or the erection or construction of gates, fences, walls or other means of enclosure along a boundary of the curtilage of an existing dwellinghouse - £206.
The erection, alteration or replacement of plant or machinery
- Where the site area does not exceed 5 hectares - £462 for each 0.1 hectare of the site area.
- Where the site area exceeds 5 hectares - £22,859 and an additional £138 for each 0.1 hectare in excess of 5 hectares, subject to a maximum of £300,000
Change of Use
Change of use to one or more separate dwellinghouses
- Where the change of use is from a previous use as a single dwellinghouse to use as two or more single dwellinghouses, and does not exceed 50 dwellinghouses - £462 for each additional dwellinghouse.
- In all other cases, where the change of use is for use that does not exceed 50 dwellinghouses - £462 for each dwellinghouse.
- Where the change of use exceeds 50 dwellinghouses - £22,859 and an additional £138 for each dwellinghouse, subject to a maximum of £300,000.
Change of use of land or building
- Change of use of land or building - £462.
Applications other than Building Works
- The construction of car parks, service roads or other means of access where required to serve an existing use - £234
The variation/removal/discharge of condition
- The variation or removal of a condition following grant of planning permission - £234
- Request for confirmation that one or more planning conditions have been complied with - £34 per request for householder, otherwise £116 per request
Prior approval applications
- £96 unless detailed below:
- Communications (previously referred to as 'Telecommunications Code Systems Operators') - £462
- Proposed change of use of Agricultural Building to a Dwellinghouse (Use Class C3), and Associated Building Operations - £206
- Proposed Change of Use of a building from a Retails (Use Class A1 or A2) Use or Mixed Retail and Residential Use to a use falling within Use Class C3 (Dwellinghouse), and Associated Building Operations - £206
- Notification for Prior Approval for a Change of Use from Amusement Arcades/Centres and Casinos (Sui Generis Uses) and any land within its curtilage to Dwellinghouses (Class C3) and Associated Building Operations - £206
- Notification for Prior Approval for a Change of Use from Shops (Class A1), Financial and Professional Services (Class A2), Betting Offices, Pay Day Loan Shops and Casinos (Sui Generis Uses) to Restaurants and Cafes (Class A3), and Associated Building Operations - £206
Certificates of Lawfulness
- Certificate of Proposed Use or Development - 50% of planning application fee
- Certificate of Existing Use or Development - fee as for planning application
- Certificate of Existing use or Operation, lawful not to comply with any condition or limitation - £234
- Advertisements Relating to the business on the premises - £132
- Signs which are not situated on or visible from the site, directing the public to a business - £132
- All other advertisements - £462
Application for a non-material amendment following a grant of planning permission
- Applications in respect of householder developments - £28
- Applications in respect of other developments - £234
Application for Permission in Principle (valid from 1 June 2018)
- Site Area: £402 for each .01 hectare (or part thereof)
- Other fees are detailed in The Town and Country Planning (Fees for Applications, Deemed Applications, requests and Site Visits) (England) Regulations 2012 ( as amended)
No fee payable for the following:
- Prior Approval for a Proposed Larger Home Extension
Listed buildings and Conservation Areas
- Listed Building Consent
- Certificate of Lawfulness of Proposed Works to a listed building
- Relevant demolition in a Conservation Area
- If the application relates to a condition on an application for Listed Building Consent or planning permission for relevant demolition in a Conservation Area
Trees and hedgerows
- Works to Trees covered by a Tree Preservation Order or in a Conservation Area
- Hedgerow Removal
- Alterations, extensions, etc. to a dwelling house for the benefit of a registered disabled person
- Operations solely for the purpose of providing means of access for disabled persons to within a building or premises to which members of the public are admitted
If the application is the first revision of an application for development of the same character or description on the same site by the same applicant:
- for a withdrawn application: within 12 months of the date of the application was received
- for a determined application: within 12 months of the date of the application was granted, refused or an appeal dismissed
- for an application where an appeal was made on the grounds of non-determination, within 12 months of the period when the giving of notice of a decision on the earlier valid application expired.
- Other exemptions are detailed in The Town and Country Planning (Fees for Applications, Deemed Applications, requests and Site Visits) (England) Regulations 2012 ( as amended)
The measurements of the site area/floorspace to which an application relates is based on the external dimensions.
If the application is for a new building to replace a building which is to be demolished, there is no discount for the size of the existing building. The fee would be based on the floorspace of the proposed building.
Following outline planning permission, applications for the approval of Reserved Matters attract the same fee that would have been charged on the equivalent application for full planning permission.
Planning application fees