This information sheet offers general advice and is for guidance only. For specific matters, contact the relevant Licensing officer
If you want to sell goods or services on the street we will need details, so first of all write, fax or e-mail the relevant officer with your ideas. The document can be in any format but should include:
- What you want to sell (in some detail)
- Where you want to sell it (you may have a specific location in mind or something general like 'the promenade')
- When you want to carry this out, time of day and dates (every day? evenings? for one event?)
- How you intend to do it, selling from a stall perhaps, in which case supply details of the stall (size, design)
- Why you want to do this is. Is it for charity? An established business or new venture?
- Who is going to be selling, yourself? Other staff? How many? Who will be on site on a daily basis in charge of the operation? What experience of this sort of operation have you got?
- Noise and Rubbish - will there be any disturbance to residents or traders, how will rubbish be disposed of
You will need public liability insurance and product liability insurance.
- If you intend to sell food you would need to be registered as a food business (even for a mobile food stand), you would have to have had training and your premises inspected. We would need to see your food registration, including details of the registering council, at the time of application
- If you are going to run any sort of charity event at which you intend to collect money you will need a permit obtainable from the relevant Licensing officer.
- If you are going to run any sort of raffle, tombola or lottery anywhere in the Borough including private property, you may need a permit obtainable from the Licensing Officer.
We require a minimum of 28 days' notice prior to the date of the street trading requirements.
Unlicensed Street Trading
If you wish to report an incident of unlicensed street trading, please contact the Licensing team.
Application forms and guidelines
- Application for a Street Trading Licence
- Application for a Street Trading Consent for Fish Sales on the Blue Stade
- Street Trading: food business supplementary application (.pdf 51KB)
Location: Roads and Streets (including pedestrianised areas of the town centre)
Location: the Sea foreshore, Promenade, Stade, Sea front, Castle, Cliff Railways and St Mary in the Castle.
Contact: Beach foreshore.
Note: Ice cream/food sales on the seafront - pitches are offered for tender on a regular basis. For further details of pitches available and the tendering process, please contact the Seafront Services Manager.
Location: Alexandra Park, Warrior Square Gardens, The Oval, The Country Park and other open spaces
Contact: Leisure Manager
Note: Ice cream/food sales in the parks etc - pitches are offered for tender on a regular basis. For further details of pitches available and the tendering process, please contact the Leisure Manager.
Location: Council owned car parks
Contact: Parking Manager
The following are private property and you should contact the relevant manager at the venue for permissions:
Priory Meadow, Hastings Pier, Horntye Park Sports Complex and school playing fields
The charge for this service can be found on our licensing fees page.