I am having problems with my landlord
Hastings Borough Council is committed to tackling and combating problematic landlords in the town.
You should not have to live in fear of a landlord or put up with disrepair issues that your landlord is not tackling. Legislation exists to protect you from landlords who act outside or ignore the law that protects your health, safety and comfort. We can take enforcement action against rogue landlords, and, where necessary, prosecute.
If your landlord is making your life difficult by trying to illegally evict you, harassing you or not carrying out repairs, you can get advice by calling Brighton Housing Trust
You can find more information on your landlord's responsibilities here - www.hastings.gov.uk/housing/renting/landlordresponsibilities/
Have any of the following happened to you?:
- Repairs you have reported to your landlord or managing agent have not been attended to
- You've been unable to contact your landlord
- You've suffered an unlawful eviction or harassment
- Your landlord is refusing to return your deposit
- Your managing agent is being obstructive and refuses to give you your landlord's details
- There's a communication breakdown between you and your landlord
- Your landlord refuses to produce certificates e.g. gas safety
- Your property is a House of Multiple Occupation (shared accommodation) and you have concerns about how it is being managed?
- If you live in shared accommodation, do you know if it is licensed?
Brighton Housing Trust maybe able to help at