I am having problems with my landlord
Hastings Borough Council is committed to tackling and combating problematic landlords in the town.
You should not have to live in fear of a landlord or put up with disrepair issues that your landlord is not tackling. Legislation exists to protect you from landlords who act outside or ignore the law that protects your health, safety and comfort. We can take enforcement action against rogue landlords, and, where necessary, prosecute.
If your landlord is making your life difficult by trying to illegally evict you, harassing you or not carrying out repairs, you can report them by calling: 01424 451100
You can find more information on your landlord's responsibilities here - www.hastings.gov.uk/housing/renting/landlordresponsibilities/
Have any of the following happened to you?:
- Repairs you have reported to your landlord or managing agent have not been attended to
- You've been unable to contact your landlord
- You've suffered an unlawful eviction or harassment
- Your landlord is refusing to return your deposit
- Your managing agent is being obstructive and refuses to give you your landlord's details
- There's a communication breakdown between you and your landlord
- Your landlord refuses to produce certificates e.g. gas safety
- Your property is a House of Multiple Occupation (shared accommodation) and you have concerns about how it is being managed?
- If you live in shared accommodation, do you know if it is licensed?
You can report any of these incidents for free by ringing: 01424 451100
What we will do to help:
- Contact you to arrange an inspection or a meeting
- Contact your landlord requesting that your property be made safe and free of hazards
- Apply relevant legislation; we will notify your landlord to attend to repairs or concerns
- Take further action if your landlord does not comply with a notification
- If required; we will take legal action against your landlord if he fails to attend to the repair
- Give you a better understanding of your rights and the rights and responsibilities of your landlord
- Prevent you from being evicted where possible and prevent homelessness
- Give you up to date feedback as we progress
Our aim is to give better understanding to both landlords and tenants through education, encouragement and support. You find out more in the document below:
- Tenants leaflet (.pdf 339KB)