What are my tenant's responsibilities?
It is important to understand your tenant's responsibilities as well as your own as the landlord.
Your tenant's have the following responsibilities, to:
- Take good care of the property – e.g. by turning off the water at the mains if they are away in cold weather, keeping it clean etc.
- Carry out any maintenance you have agreed with them as part of the tenancy e.g. unblocking drains, or clearing gutters
- Pay the agreed rent.
- Pay other charges as agreed with the you, the landlord - these may include council tax or utility bills
- Repair or pay for any damage they cause, or that is caused by their family or friends
- Only sublet a property if you, the landlord, allow it.
More information about tenant's responsibilities can be found on the UK Government Website
I'm a landlord