What are my responsibilities as a landlord?
You are a landlord if you rent out property. It is important to know what responsibilities you have as a landlord.
As a landlord, you have the following responsibilities to:
- Keep your rented properties safe and free from health hazards
- Make sure all gas and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained
- Provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property
- Protect your tenants deposit
- Check your tenant has the right to rent your property in England
- Give your tenant a copy of the How to rent checklist when they start renting from you (you can email it to them)
More information about landlord responsibilities can be found on the UK Government website.
I'm a landlord