Voting by proxy is another way of voting if you are unable to vote in person at the polling station. A proxy is someone you appoint to vote on your behalf. To vote by proxy you need to be on the electoral register. Then you need to complete a proxy vote application form.
Voting by proxy can be useful if you fall ill and are unable to get to the polling station on polling day, or if you are abroad during an election. It can be particularly useful if you are overseas and may not be able to send a postal vote back in time for polling day (for instance, if you are in the Armed Forces and deployed overseas).
Who can apply for a proxy vote?
When you apply for a proxy vote you have to provide a reason. You can apply for a proxy vote if:
- You are unable to go to the polling station for one particular election, for example, if you are away on holiday
- You have a physical condition that means you cannot go to the polling station on polling day
- You are a British citizen living overseas
- You are a crown servant or a member of the Armed Forces
When can I apply to vote by proxy?
The deadline for applying to vote by proxy is normally six working days before polling day. In exceptional circumstances, you can also apply for an emergency proxy after this time. Please contact Electoral Services for more information.
Who can vote on my behalf?
You can nominate anyone to be your proxy as long as they are eligible to vote in that type of election and they are willing to vote on your behalf.
Please note, a person cannot be a proxy for more than two people at any one election, unless they are a close relative.
If would like further information on voting by proxy, please call Electoral Services on 01424 451 087.
Visit www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter for further information.
- Electoral registration query
- Electoral absent voting query
- Make Electoral register amendments
- Upload electoral documents
- Register to vote on Gov.uk
- Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate
Got a question about voting and elections?01424 451087
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Electoral Services team.