West Marina Gardens
The gardens were purchased by the Corporation in 1886 as part of a general improvement scheme for the area. Much of the hard work in laying out the gardens was done by the unemployed of the area and the gardens were official opened by Mayor Bradnam in 1891. By 1908 they were being used for tennis, bowls and croquet.
The statue of 'Edith finding the body of Harold on the battlefield of Hastings' by the sculptor, C.A.W. Wilke was moved from the museum to West Marina in 1953.
Suitable for disabled access.
A small (15,000 square metres) and flat site with an extensive path network and lots of seating, West Marina Gardens also includes a single bowls green, putting course and formal gardens. It is located at the western end of St Leonards seafront promenade overlooking the sea and has ample roadside parking. West Marina is home to both the West Marina Bowls Club and Observer Bowls Club who have their club house on site. There is a sports attendant available during the summer for the booking of bowls and putting.
- Harold and Edith statue
- Notice Board
- Report vandalism
- Dead Animal - report
- Litter bin - needs emptying
- Dog bin - needs emptying
- Japanese Knotweed query
Got a question about parks and gardens?01424 451066
CommentsThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Parks and Gardens team.