These were bought for the town and officially opened by the Mayor on the 3rd July 1872. They were laid out by Borough surveyor William Andrews and gardener Mr Palmer. Although there had been a competition for their design, it was won by Messrs Moring and Vernon, who built some of the houses in Warrior Square.
The site was originally known as Gensing Wood. Like other gardens of the period there was a carriage drive. Sub tropical plants were a particular feature.
There is good disabled access from Charles Road, London Road and Anglesea Terrace. The paths are flat and are easy walking.
A small green space, 28,000 square metres, flat with wide paths and plenty of seating. Open lawn areas and mature trees.
- Children's play area
- Central open grass area
- Notice boards
- Flower beds
Got a question about parks and gardens?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Parks and Gardens team.