Helpful tips for new tenants
Here are our ten helpful tips for new tenants:
- If you have no tools, buy only the essentials - spade, fork, hoe, rake, trowel and water can.
- For your back's sake do not rush clearance and digging. It is best to start in the autumn.
- If a plot is badly weeded over, it is best to skim off the top and then dig it.
- Ensure that you remove the roots of docks, dandelions and couch grass as these will regrow.
- Start a compost heap for vegetable matter.
- Do not start sowing seeds in the open too early, as many are lost in the cold and wet ground.
- You will need to water plants that are being transplanted until they become established.
- Aim for a succession of crops throughout the year and rotate the crops in sequence.
- Plant flowers to make the plot more colourful.
- Fellow plot holders can also give lots of advice.