Hastings Museum & Art Gallery Creative Residencies
To coincide with the amazing Hastings Open 2022 exhibition, Hastings Museum & Art Gallery is proud to announce the launch of creative residencies at the museum.
The museum is inviting local creatives to apply for week-long residencies in January and February 2023. These residencies are for anyone who feels their creative practice would benefit from spending time at the museum researching and developing a new idea. If that sounds exciting, then we would love to hear from you.
Cllr Andy Batsford, lead councillor for health and culture, said: "These residencies are a great opportunity for local creatives to help them investigate their new ideas. I would encourage anyone who is interested to register as soon as possible, as we expect them to be very popular."
Each of the two, week-long, residencies include:
- five days access to the museum archive, local studies room and use of the Lower Durbar Hall
- access to equipment including a PA system, projection equipment and Wi-Fi if needed
- mentoring/advice from our experienced collections & engagement team if required
- an optional informal sharing of ideas at the end of the week to an invited audience. This is by no means mandatory, but could be a facilitated conversation, a work in progress sharing or just a chat with some of the team about where you are up to in your process. We will work with you to make sure you have a productive and useful culmination to your residency
- a per diem of £10 per day each day of the residency.
The residencies are for solo, self-producing creatives interested in the research and development of ideas. The museum is particularly interested in creatives whose work aligns with our own and whose practice draws from heritage and historical contexts.
Due to anticipated high demand, priority will be given to creatives living and working in Hastings. The weeks available are 9-13 January 2023 and 6-10 February 2023. More information and application details are on the museum's website.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday, 30 November 2022.
About Hastings Museum and Art Gallery
The award-winning Hastings Museum & Art Gallery is a family-friendly museum with amazingly diverse collections; there really is something for everyone! The museum was established over 125 years ago and has always offered people the opportunity to explore art, culture and history from around the world. Today, the museum's vision is to be "a local museum with a global collection that inspires people and connects communities". The museum is open Tuesdays-Sundays and is free to park and visit.
Hastings Open 2022
1 October 2022 - 15 January 2023
Hastings Open 2022 celebrates the diversity of artistic talent in Hastings and beyond. It features 80 extraordinary artists working in painting, sculpture, drawing, print, photography, digital, and mixed media.