FOI request (FOI218449)
Requested Tue 25 July 2017
Responded Tue 25 July 2017
Please answer the following questions. I make this request under the Freedom of Information Act. For clarity, residential tower blocks should include those in your area, whether they are owned or managed by the council, arms-length housing company, housing trust, or whether privately owned or any other form of ownership or management.
1) How many residential tower blocks are there in your council area? How many people live in these tower blocks?
2) How many of those residential tower blocks do not contain sprinkler systems? How many people live in tower blocks without sprinkler systems?
3) How many residential tower blocks do not have a central fire alarm system? How many people live tower blocks that do not have a central fire alarm system?
4) How many residential tower blocks are cladded? How many people live in cladded residential tower blocks?
5) How many residential tower blocks are cladded with Aluminium Composite Material (also known as Aluminium Composite Panels)? How many people live in tower blocks cladded with ACM/ACP?
6) Please state, for each building cladded with ACM/ACP, the type of insulation and core used with the panels, for example polyethylene (PE), polyurethane (PUR), profiled metal or a mineral core. How many residential tower blocks are cladded with each core? How many people live in each building cladded with each core?
7) How many residential tower blocks are cladded with Reynobond PE cladding? How many people live in tower blocks cladded with Reynobond PE cladding?
8) How many residential tower blocks are cladded with Reynobond FR cladding? How many people live in tower blocks cladded with Reynobond FR cladding?
9) Where another type of cladding was used on a residential tower block, please state the type of cladding used. How many buildings are covered with each other type of cladding and how many people live in them?
10) Where cladding has been installed on a residential tower block, please state the name of the company that carried out the installation (where this is known).
11) Where fire tests have been carried out since the Grenfell Tower fire, please state how many residential tower blocks have been found to be cladded with materials found to be combustible? Please state how many people live in these tower blocks and the type of material that was found to be combustible.
12) Please provide a copy of any fire test reports on cladding that have been produced since the Grenfell Tower fire and the results of these tests.
13) Please provide a list of all buildings in your area (residential and non-residential, where council managed or not) with ACM cladding and buildings more than 18m high. Please provide a copy of fire rest reports and results on these buildings (see 11)
14) How many of these buildings are used to house asylum seekers? How many asylum-seekers live in these buildings?
15) Please provide a copy of any correspondence with the Government about tower block cladding sent or received since 13 June, 2017.
16) Please provide a copy of any correspondence sent or received in the last seven years between the council and your local fire brigade and you local coroner about cladding on any buildings in your area.
17) Please provide a link to any planning applications involving cladding in the last seven years and a copy of any fire safety advice about cladding.
ResponseQ1-10 - Information not heldThe Council's register of mandatory licence-able HMO's which is available here - such buildings are 3 or more storeys. East Sussex Fire and Rescue (ESFR) have been developing a list based on local experience - this is not complete and is held presently by ESFR. The Council does not own any Council Housing. The Council's housing stock was transferred to 1066 Housing Association in 1996, now Optivo, as part of a Large Scale Voluntary Transfer (LSVT). We are aware of the following tower blocks (owned and managed by Optivo) which are more than 4 floors high: Four Courts which comprises of: Bevin Court, Stonehouse Drive, TN38 9DE Kennedy Court, Stonehouse Drive, TN38 9DH Churchill Court, Stonehouse Drive, TN38 9DG Roosevelt Court, Stonehouse Drive, TN38 9DJ We do not hold information on the number of people who live in these tower blocks.
Q11. No buildings tested have been found to be clad in combustible material.Q12. N/A - properties not in Council ownership therefore we do not hold copies of test certificates.Q13. This information is not available. East Sussex Fire and Rescue are presently updating their records of taller buildings.Q14 - Asylum seekers are not housed by Hastings Borough Council (HBC) this is the responsibility of the Home Office, who subcontract under the COMPASS contract to Clearel to provide housing to asylum seekers. Please contact Clearel for further information. HBC are part of the Syrian Resettlement Programme for Syrian Vulnerable Persons who now have Refugee status. No families settled by the HBC live in this type of accommodation and are all in houses or low-rise apartments.Q15 - Please see attachedQ16 - Information not heldQ17 - This information is publicly available at https://www.hastings.gov.uk/planning/searching/
Freedom of Information