How to report fraud
How do I tell you if I suspect someone of fraud?
You can report a suspicion of fraud of any type, in confidence, in the following ways:
- by using the online report fraud form
- by phoning the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 854440.
You do not have to give your name and address, but it would be helpful for us to have a telephone number in case we need to ask you for more information.
Please give us as much information as possible:
- The name and address of the alleged fraudster
- The nature of the alleged fraud - e.g. claiming benefit while working, sending false bills to the Council
- When the alleged fraud started
- Any other useful information, e.g. dates, times, car registration number, etc
Any information you give will be dealt with in the strictest confidence.
Will someone who reports a benefit cheat be told what is happening?
Unfortunately we can't. The law says we have to keep information about people confidential, so we cannot give progress reports to the person who reported the possible fraud.
Got a question about fraud?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Audit and Investigations team.