It is the event organiser's responsibility to limit the effect that the noise from their event has on the surrounding area and the local residents. Consideration should be given to any element of the event that involves noise that is likely to be audible at the nearest residential properties in the vicinity.
Please note that for all medium to large events on Hastings Borough Council land a Noise Management Plan (NMP) will be required in advance as part of the EMP.
In order to minimise noise disturbance careful consideration should be given to the following:
- Position of the stage
- Position of speakers
- Timings of the event, including the finish time.
It is recommended that nearby residents are advised of the following:
- Timings of the event [including rehearsals/sound checks]
- Contact name and a telephone number for any noise complaints during the event.
Consideration should be given to appointing a suitably qualified Noise Consultant who can provide advice, assess noise levels during the event and ensure noise reduction when required.
The following are methods of controlling noise levels at your events
- Agree music noise levels prior to the event.
- Locate stages, fair rides and other sources of noise as far away as possible from, and facing away from, noise-sensitive properties.
- Stop noisy activities earlier to avoid the increased potential for disturbance.
- Use noise limited generators,
- Make requests or use signage requesting the people leave quickly and quietly.