Bed bugs: advice and information
Pest control service suspended
For the safety of our customers and staff we are suspending pest control treatments until further notice.
Hastings Borough Council provides a pest control service for the treatment of bed bugs. You can book an appointment quickly and easily using our online form.
However if you are a housing association tenant you should contact your housing association provider.
Our pest control information and charges page has the fees for all our pest control services.
- Bed bugs are attracted by exhaled carbon-dioxide and body heat - not dirt
- Bed bugs are most active in the hour before dawn
- More infestations are being treated at hotels and on public transport
Bed bugs are one of the most hated human parasites but improvements in hygiene and the use of the pesticide DDT after the Second World War virtually eradicated them.
The recent recurrence of bed bugs is largely blamed on international travel and they are increasingly being found in homes, hotels, dormitories, universities and public transport.
Eliminating bed bugs is difficult. The key is to locate and treat all cracks and crevices including:
- folds and seams in mattresses
- bed frames and box springs
- behind skirting boards, floorboards, window, door mouldings, pictures, electrical switch plates and loose wallpaper
- in the pleats of curtains and the upholstery of furniture
Full treatment of the furniture and room by a professional pest control company is advised to ensure a full and safe eradication. The premises should be thoroughly vacuumed prior to treatment and the dust bag thrown away immediately. All bed linen should be stripped and laundered at the hottest temperature possible. Pest control companies usually recommend that infested beds are wrapped in plastic and disposed of.
Do not attempt DIY pest control using a surface spray on linen or mattresses as this could have health and safety implications.