I want to do some health and safety training
Health and safety law says:
- Employees must be trained and clearly instructed in their duties; and
- Employers and host companies must ensure contractors are properly trained and competent to work safely.
Everyone who works for you, including self-employed people, need to know how to work safely and without risks to their own or other's health. Therefore you need to train them so they know what hazards and risks they may come across within your business and how to deal with them.
Health and safety training should take place during working hours and must not be paid for by employees.
Some employees may have particular training needs, for example:
- new recruits;
- people changing jobs or taking on extra responsibilities; and
- young employees who, because of their inexperience can be particularly vulnerable to accidents.
You also need to ensure that new, inexperienced or young employees are adequately supervised.
Further information can be found in the Health and Safety Executive's leaflet below:
See our list of local trainers.
Health and safety
- Health and Safety advice request for businesses
- Health and Safety problem at a commercial premises
- Report commercial and workplace safety issues
This page is managed by the Environmental Health team.01424 451078