Who should pay?
Generally, the person who is highest in the following list is liable to pay the Council Tax:
- An owner occupier
- An owner occupier who is paying a ground rent
- A council or private tenant
- Resident licensee, eg. the landlord of a public house who lives on the premises
- Other resident, eg. a squatter
- Non-resident owner
Partners and joint owners are also liable to pay Council Tax. The bill will show all names of persons in the premises who are liable, although only one bill may be sent.
When the owner of a property is liable
The owner of a property is liable to pay the Council Tax in the following special cases:
- House in multiple occupation, eg. groups of bedsits which share washing and cooking facilities
- Care and nursing homes together with some hostels
- Some second homes
- Some vicarages
- Properties occupied by asylum seekers (from April 2000)
I don't understand my bill
Visit our Council Tax Bill explained page for information about what each part of the bill means and how the total is reached.
If you sign up to My Hastings, its free and easy, and link your council tax account, you will be able to check your bill and view the information at any time.
Discounts for Armed Forces personnel
The Government introduced discounts for armed forces members when away on tour. Hastings Borough Council does not deal with these discounts and you will need to speak to your Officer in Charge.
Who should pay?
- Direct Debit - sign up
- Pay - Council Tax
- View your account
- Council Tax enquiry form
- Council tax moving home
Got a question about council tax?01424 451081
CommentsThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Revenues team.