Care leavers Council Tax discount
If you spent time in care as a child, for example in foster care, you may be eligible for a discount on your Council Tax bill.
The council supports young people leaving its care by offering a 100% discount on the amount of Council Tax they pay, until the day before the charge payer's 25th birthday.
The discount is applied after any national discounts and or exemptions have been applied. For example, if you are entitled to 25% single occupier discount you will get that first and the remaining 75% would be covered by the care leaver discount.
If you are jointly liable with someone else who is not a care leaver, you are entitled to a 50% reduction.
Who is a care leaver
A care leaver is defined as any adult who spent time in care as a child (under the age of 18). Such care could be in foster care, residential care (mainly children's homes), or other arrangements outside the immediate or extended family.
A discount is available from any period from 1st April 2018 where the care leaver is liable for Council Tax.
Where the care leaver resides at a property of multiple occupation (HMO) the discount does not apply and the Landlord will be liable to pay the Council Tax.
Apply for the care leavers' discount
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you were in care please send evidence from East Sussex County Council confirming that you were a former looked after child.
Discounts and exemptions