What can I apply for?
Arts & Cultural Development Match Funding Grant
The Arts & Cultural Development Match Funding Grant is Hastings Borough Council's strategic fund to support applications from the creative sector to funding bodies that bring additional investment to the town. The Match Funding Grant is for funding applications to organisations that are based outside of the Borough of Hastings - so that it is bringing new funding into the borough. The Match Funding Grant can support applications to Arts Council England and National Lottery Funds as well as to trusts, foundations and other funding bodies who are not based in Hastings.
In 2019-20 the Arts & Cultural Development Match Funding Grant supported 11 projects and helped secure £298,318 of additional funding for Hastings-based organisations and creatives.
The fund is open for applications.
Terms and Conditions
- Projects must take place principally within the Hastings Borough Council area
- Projects must have a clear public benefit for the town
- Projects must be open to the public, be public facing or contain a significant amount of community engagement
- Applications must have a Match Funding Grant leverage ratio of 10:1
- Applications to funding bodies must not be made before a decision on your application to the Match Funding Grant has been made
- Applications cannot be made retrospectively.
We do not fund
- Political and religious events and projects, excluding arts and cultural events that promote religious or racial harmony, or equality and diversity
- Political projects to raise funding for charitable purposes
- Projects principally for individual or professional development.
What you can apply for
You can apply for up to £1000 per application. The leverage ratio of any amount applied for should be at least 10:1. This means applications must "lever in" more than ten times the amount applied for from Hastings Borough Council. We strongly encourage people apply for lesser amounts where possible. The amount applied for from Hastings Borough Council should always be clearly listed in the proposed budget in the application to the funding organisation. Match Funding Grants are conditional on the application to the funding organisation being successful. If your application to the funding organisation is unsuccessful, then the Match Funding Grant offer will be withdrawn.
Please note, organisations and individuals will not receive more than one Match Funding Grant per financial year.
When to apply
This is a rolling programme from April-March. Applications are assessed and awarded on a 'first come, first served' basis. There is a limited amount available over the course of the year. Applicants should be aware that the programme may run out of funds before the end of the financial year.
How to apply
To make an application to Arts & Cultural Development Match Funding Grant, send an email with a copy of the application to the funding organisation to Hastings Borough Council at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email state clearly how much they are applying for from Hastings Borough Council, the proposed dates and duration of the project and the number of people that will benefit from your project.
Foreshore Charitable Trust: Grants Programmes
In Hastings, the Foreshore Trust has a small community grants scheme which will support arts and cultural projects.
Other Funding Sources
East Sussex County Council manage a similar match funding scheme
for the East Sussex Arts Partnership, and offer grants of up to £500 as match against Grants for the Arts bids. Visit the East Sussex County Council website for more information.
Arts and culture funding