About Bottle Alley
Bottle Alley is a 480 metre lower deck promenade running from the pier to Warrior Square. It was built as part of a revolutionary double deck promenade in the 1930's by the Borough Engineer Sidney Little, who became known as the 'concrete king'.
Bottle Alley is named as such due to the countless pieces of multi-coloured glass bottles embedded in the concrete panels along the entire length of the alley.
It was originally built as an undercover walkway for bad weather and had provision for glazed shutters. Although these shutters are no longer in place, the tracks can still be seen.
Bottle Alley was transformed in 2017 with the installation of new multi-coloured programmable lighting, replacing the old lighting and framework.
The programmable nature of the lights means that everything from a subtle wave effect to a riot of colour can be set.
You can see the bottle alley light show at 7.30pm and 9.30pm every day, with an extended 30 minute show on Fridays.
Light Show Video
View this video full screen on Youtube.