FOI request (FOIR-498945174)
Child Sexual Exploitation and Children in Need Assessments
Requested Mon 20 March 2023
Responded Tue 21 March 2023
We would like information on the percentage of children who were victims of child sexual exploitation offences who had a 'Child in Need' assessment undertaken, from January 2016 to December 2022.
For the purposes of this Freedom of Information request, child sexual exploitation offences are defined by the Sexual Offences Act 2003 as amended by Section 68 of the Serious Crime Act 2015. This includes:
• Section 47 Sexual Offences Act 2003: Paying for sexual services of a child.
• Section 48 Sexual Offences Act 2003: Causing or inciting [sexual exploitation of a child].
• Section 49 Sexual Offences Act 2003: Controlling a child [in relation to sexual exploitation].
• Section 50 Sexual Offences Act 2003: Arranging or facilitating [sexual exploitation of a child].
'Children in Need' plans are defined by Section 17 of the Children's Act 1989.
We are looking to find out:
1. What was the percentage of children who were victims of child sexual exploitation offences who had a 'Child in Need' assessment undertaken, from January 2016 to December 2022.
Barnardo's will use the information provided to inform research that we are doing on child sexual exploitation. This research will be used in our work with the Government on strengthening protection for and responses to child sexual exploitation.
Information not held
This area is dealt with by East Sussex County Council Children's Services, please visit their website for further information:
Freedom of Information
Got a question about freedom of information?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Council's Information Officer.