FOI request (FOIR-415147603)
Tree works on TPO protected trees at Shearbarn Caravan Park Barley Ln, Hastings TN35 5DX
Requested Wed 13 April 2022
Responded Tue 17 May 2022
Tree works have been observed by members of the public on TPO protected trees. These works were carried out between the 15/12/2021 and the 23/12/2021.
The location of the works were in woodland area W3 around the reservoir - please see HBC TPO number 310 and the map of area W3.
No planning permission has been granted for tree works in this area. A Planning Enforcement query to Hastings Borough Council dated 01/02/2022 states that the tree works were carried out under authority of the Environment Agency and no prior permission was therefore sought or necessary:
"Following a site visit on 21st December 2021 and 18th January 2022 by a Structural Engineer and a County Arboriculturist, we have confirmed that minor tree works were undertaken within a TPO zone. However these works were done under the authority of the Environment Agency who have jurisdiction to conduct any required works on their land. As such we will now close this case."
An EIR request to the Environment Agency (EA) reveals that the Environment Agency have no knowledge of these works.
I am concerned that these works were not done under the authority of the Environment Agency as claimed by HBC Planning Enforcement. To allay these concerns I request any information that HBC holds which confirms that the works were carried out with Environment Agency authorisation.
1. Confirmation that tree works carried out were with the authority of the EA
2. The reference number used to authorise such works
3. Copies of any documents held by HBC authorising such works
4. The location of the works
5. The scale and scope of the works
6. Why such works were deemed necessary by the Environment Agency
7. Whether any tree re-planting will be carried out
8. Copies of any site visit reports/notes (in any form) by HBC officers
9. Copies of any site visit reports/notes (in any form) by the structural engineer
10. Copies of any site visit reports/notes (in any form) by the County Arboriculturist
11. Copies of any correspondence (in any form) between HBC and the owners of the Caravan Park concerning these works
12. Copies of any correspondence (in any form) between HBC and EA concerning these works
Please consider this a formal request under EIR.
Q1. This is not a request for recorded information. Please refer to the Environment Agency.
Q2. Information not held. Please refer to the Environment Agency.
Q3. Information not held.
Q4. The works took place on the South-West bank of Ecclesbourne reservoir and they consisted of pollarding and pruning.
Q5. Please see response to Q4.
Q6. Information not held.
Q7. This is not a request for recorded information.
Visited the site and walked the reservoir with a member of the staff. Bramble bushes and grass are being removed in order to prepare to open the reservoir for fishing. Several branches have been removed and a large amount of wood chippings are present on the reservoir's banks. In order to identify whether these works contravene the area's TPO, a site visit will be conducted by **** in the immediate future; further action will be taken based on the comments from **** site visit. 21/12/2021
Next site visit confirmed that works did not exceed what was allowed under the TPO restrictions.
Q9. Information not held.
Q10 - Information not held.
Q11 - Information not held.
Q12 - Information not held.
Freedom of Information