FOI request (FOIR-292108962)
Requested Wed 06 January 2021
Responded Fri 15 January 2021
My questions refer to cemeteries and graveyards owned/run/managed by the council. By 'burials' I refer to body burials rather than the burial of cremated remains:
1. How many grave plots were used for new burials (or bought/reserved for future burials) in council-run cemeteries in 2020, and how many were used in each of the years 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016?
2. How many grave plots/burial spaces remain empty/available for burials/reservation across your council-run cemeteries?
3. Does your council have an estimate of when space across council-run/owned cemeteries will run out completely?
4. How many cemeteries and graveyards are run/owned by the council?
5. How many of these are at full capacity/closed to new burials and in what calendar year did they close to new burials?
6. Does your council have any land currently earmarked for new/overspill burial space, and what is the current use of that land?
Q1 - We do not have access to the full statistics going back to 2016 (only 2017 onwards), 2020 is yet to be completed, our COVID-19 response has taken priority.
2020 - 34 (Jan to Oct)
2019 - 55 (Jan to Dec)
2018 - 46 (Jan to Dec)
2017 - 44 (Jan to Dec)
2016 - 37 (Apr to Dec)
Q2 - Last estimate 2012
Traditional Graves - 1976 available
Lawned Graves - 3207 available
Natural Graves - 771 available
Cremated Remains Plots - 1834 available
Not all sections the have been mapped out yet and some will require tree clearance to use so we do not have an accurate number besides we still have 30 or more years' worth.
Q3 - We have more than 30 years to go.
Q4 - One.
Q5 - None.
Q6 - No
Freedom of Information