FOI request (FOIR-233781818)
Requested Fri 31 July 2020
Responded Tue 20 October 2020
1. How frequently does the council count or estimate the number of rough sleepers in its area? (e.g. weekly, monthly, annually)
2. If counts or estimates are made in addition to the annual single night autumn snapshot provided to MHCLG, is the methodology the same as that used for the annual single night autumn snapshot in 2019?
3. If not, please explain the methodology.
4. Please provide data on the number of rough sleepers for counts or estimates on or nearest to the first day of each month of 2020 up to and including August.
5. Please provide the latest data on those provided with emergency accommodation by the council as part of the COVID-19 pandemic response. This data should include people who were sleeping rough, in shared sleeping sites, and who became vulnerable to rough sleeping during the pandemic.
a. Total number provided with emergency accommodation at some point.
b. Number still in emergency accommodation.
c. Number evicted from emergency accommodation.
d. Number found longer-term accommodation by the council or its partners.
e. Number who have left emergency accommodation of their own accord.
Q1 - Hastings Borough Council commissions Outreach sessions held at least 5 times per week, which provide a count of the number of people rough sleeping.
Q2/3 - An informed estimate. A count takes place, we then meet with local partners to review intelligence and include information about people who, although they were not verified that night, are likely to be rough sleeping. This is based on best practice from Homeless Link.
Q4 - The average count of rough sleepers for each month, based on outreach reports:
1st Jan 2020 - 15
1st Feb 2020 - 15
1st Mar 2020 - 7
1st Apr 2020 - 7
1st May 2020 - 9
1st Jun 2020 - 13
1st Jul 2020 - 14
1sr Aug 2020 - 15
Q5a - Total number provided with emergency accommodation at some point = 74.
Q5b - Number still in emergency accommodation = 45.
Q5c - Number evicted from emergency accommodation = 7.
Q5d - Number found longer-term accommodation by the council or its partners = 10.
Q5e - Number who have left emergency accommodation of their own accord = 7.
Freedom of Information