FOI request (FOIR-227414228)
Requested Mon 13 July 2020
Responded Fri 24 July 2020
1. House Numbering - Do you control/regulate the numbering and naming of all houses in the district or only on certain streets ,or is this policy the responsibility of another authority in your district?
2. Street Naming - Which of the following legislation, or otherwise, do you use to control street naming?
a. The Towns Improvement Clauses Act 1847 clause 64
b, The Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907 clause 21
c. The Public Health Act 1925 clauses 17-19
3. Sign Boards on New Streets - With regards to the cost of putting up street sign boards on new streets, does the Council pay for the erection of sign boards or does the Council require developers pay for the name boards?
4. Changing Street Names - With regards to changing the existing name of a street:
a. If you use The Public Health Act 1925 c15, do you put any restriction on the number of people in the street who must approve the name change?
b. If you use the Public Health Amendments Act 1907 c21, what majority of residents is required to change a name? Is a majority of residents also required if the Council plans to change a street name?
5. Council Resolution - Do you have a copy of a resolution of the Council by which it has applied or withdrawn the provision of the Public Health act 1925 c17 -19 (per Local Government Act 1972)?
1. Yes, all houses within the Borough of Hastings
2. Please see our Street Naming and Numbering Policy available on our website (Section 1) https://www.hastings.gov.uk/content/planning/land_premises/pdfs/Adopted_Policy_8_July_2013.pdf
3. Please see our Street Naming and Numbering Policy available on our website (Section 8) https://www.hastings.gov.uk/content/planning/land_premises/pdfs/Adopted_Policy_8_July_2013.pdf
4. Section 21 of the Public Health Act 1907 is used for alteration of names of streets, the legislation states that two thirds of the rate payers must agree to the change. The source of the proposed change would not matter.
5. The minutes from the Cabinet meeting when the Street Naming and Numbering Policy was adopted can be found on our website https://hastings.moderngov.co.uk/CeListDocuments.aspx?CommitteeId=130&MeetingId=368&DF=08%2f07%2f2013&Ver=2
Freedom of Information