FOI request (FOIR-195686615)
Class N exemption - Student Discounts
Requested Tue 14 April 2020
Responded Wed 06 May 2020
1. - How many student discounts have been applied by the authority for the 2018/19 and 2019/20 financial years? For clarity I would like this broken down by numbers of CLASS N Exemption and numbers of individual Student Disregard Discounts applied.
2. - What evidence of being a full-time university student does the authority require to satisfy the application for student disregard discount?
3. What evidence do the authority require to apply a Class N discount to a property?
Class N - (1) A dwelling which is either-
(a) occupied by one or more residents all of whom are students;
(b) occupied only by one or more students as term time accommodation;
4) - Does the authority accept or engage in any digital/online validation of evidence of being a full-time university student? If "Yes" please provide information about how this happens and with which Universities.
5) - Does the authority rely on any lists of full-time student supplied by universities and in which case please state which institutions provide this method
2018/2019: 675 Class N Exemptions, 1249 Student Disregards
2019/2020: 483 Class N Exemptions, 1024 Student Disregards
2) Student Certificates issued by Educational Establishment for council tax purposes
3) The same as above for Class N exemptions, for all occupiers or if only one occupier they have to have supplied a Single Discount Application
4) Yes we do online validations with Brighton University and Canterbury Christ Church University: Both of the above - we are supplied by the student with their student number and confirm their course details through the online checker.
5) We do not rely on lists as they may not always contain the full information required.
Freedom of Information