FOI request (FOIR-171213973)
Requested Thu 30 January 2020
Responded Wed 19 February 2020
We are writing to you under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to request the following information detailed below. We are students in the Policy Clinic in Northumbria Law School, conducting research into the compliance with zoo licensing procedures and the result of any breaches of a license requirement.
We would be grateful if you could provide answers to the following questions, to assist us in our work. If possible, we would prefer this information in electronic format, but if only hard copy format is possible, please send it to the address listed above.
- How many zoos are in operation in your area and have a license under the Zoo Licensing Act 1981? (Please do not include any zoos which have been granted a dispensation under s.14 of the Zoo Licensing Act)
- How many inspections took place in Zoos in [Council area] within the time period of 2013 to 2018 under the Zoo Licensing Act 1981?
- How many inspections took place for each individual zoo in your area and when was each zoo inspected?
- How many informal inspections were undertaken for each zoo in your area?
- How many inspectors are employed to carry out inspections under the Zoo Licensing Act 1981?
- How many inspectors received formal training to carry out inspections under the Zoo Licensing Act 1981?
Violations and Prosecutions:
- Upon inspection in (Council Area) how many Zoos were in violation of the Zoo Licensing Act 1981 in regard to animal welfare?
- How many prosecution proceedings did you commence under s.19 of the Zoo Licensing Act 1981 for animal welfare violations in zoos?
- How many of these proceedings were successful, how many of the charges were dismissed and how many led to fines being imposed?
- How many zoos have been subjected to repeated enforcement action due to license violations?
How many zoos were mandatorily closed due to consistently failing to meet standards under the Zoo Licensing Act 1981?
Animal Welfare Act 2006:
- How many section 10 improvement notices under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 were issued in (Council Area) between 2013 to present to zoos?
- How many prosecutions under s.4 and s.9 were commenced under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 for animal violations in zoos?
In relation to the above questions, we would appreciate a schedule of documents, including all zoo inspection reports for each zoo in your area.
Hastings Borough Council has one Zoo within the Borough however this has a dispensation under Section 14 of the Act therefore, no further information is requested.
Freedom of Information
Got a question about freedom of information?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Council's Information Officer.