FOI request (FOIR-118820241)
Hastings Pier - fixing of sheds on Pier deck
Requested Tue 14 May 2019
Responded Tue 16 July 2019
I note that the decision notices for the two pier applications have been released with revised conditions.
The original condition 4 in the officer's report stipulated that fixings must be approved prior to development. The revised condition (now condition 5) removes the reference to fixings.
This change of condition was made at the planning committee meeting. The public had no opportunity to comment on this condition.
There is now no condition stipulating that the sheds must NOT be fixed to the pier. The revision of conditions has effectively given the applicant carte blanche to attach the sheds in any way they want.
This is despite the changes to the Historic England revision to the Grade 2 listing that now includes the decking in the designation.
The Case Officer stated to the committee that the applicant had confirmed in writing that the sheds would not be fixed to the decking. This document / correspondence has not been posted on the application web site.
This applicant's assurance is worthless without a condition specifically stating that the sheds cannot be fixed to the deck. We know that the ice cream hut is already fixed to the deck.
The written assurance is not posted on the web site and is not referred to in condition 2 as part of the plans nor as an explicit condition.
Could you please provide
1. Copies of the correspondence from the applicant which confirm that the existing ice cream shed is not fixed to the pier.
2. Copies of the correspondence from the applicant which confirm that the 4 new sheds will not be fixed to the pier in any way.
3. Any other correspondence between the case officer and the applicants concerning shed fixings to the pier.
4. Copies of correspondence from planning enforcement to any other parties which covers the issue of fixings to the deck of the pier.
5. Any information in HBC's possession that confirms that the decking is part of the listed building and requires listed building consent for any works (including fixings).
Unfortunately due to sick leave a delay in responding to this request has occurred, please accept my apologies.
Q1 - Q2
Please see attached
Q3 - Information not held
Q4 - Information not held
Q5 - Please see attached - Information on listing is held by Historic England. The question of whether Listed Building consent is required is a matter of assessment and therefore not an answer we can provide through the Freedom of Information route.
Freedom of Information
Got a question about freedom of information?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Council's Information Officer.