FOI request (FOIR-103840750)
Burials and cremations
Requested Mon 28 January 2019
Responded Mon 11 February 2019
I am applying under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 for information about burials and cremations from the council.
Please could you provide the following:
1. Number of grave spaces available at present, broken down by site
2. The number of burials that are carried out each year for the years 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014
3. The number of cremations carried out each year for the years 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014
4. How long will it be until the council runs out of grave space?
5. Are there any plans to expand the councils burial space at present? If so, what are they?
6. How much does it cost for an individual to be buried in the graveyards?
7. How much does it cost for an individual to be cremated?
Q1 - Hastings Borough Council has one site which is separated into Traditional, Lawned, Natural, Cremated Remains, and babies and unallocated.
Traditional we have over 1000 dotted around the older parts of the cemetery.
Lawned - over 500 in current sections.
Natural - estimated against space already used in the section 700 left.
Cremated remains - just over 1200 in current sections
Babies- over 250 in current section
Unallocated sections estimated over 5000 usable spaces, pending tree clearance and ground levelling.
Full earth burials
2019 to Jan 31) 10
Q3 - The number of cremations carried out each year for the years 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014
2019 to Jan 31) 129
Q4 - At current rate around 40 years (pending tree clearance and ground levelling)
Q5 - No plans over space currently available for development
Interment fee (free for 18 and under)
Optional purchase of Exclusive Right of Burial
Traditional - £1448
Lawned - £898
Natural - £453
Cremated remains - £731
Babies - Free of charge to residents
Fees normally doubled for no residents.
9.30am time slot - £619
10.15am Onwards - £750
Funeral slots every 45 minutes up to and including 3.30pm
Freedom of Information