FOI request (FOI224220)
Council tax and empty homes
Requested Wed 27 September 2017
Responded Wed 27 September 2017
I am writing to make a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act (2000).
Generally speaking, I am interested in finding out how the local authority distributes discounts for Council Tax on dwellings which are empty. I am also interested in finding ??out how the Council has been applying the 'empty home premium' since the legislation was introduced in April 2013.
Consequently, I would be grateful if you could provide the following information:
1) The number of dwellings which have been in receipt of a Class C discount (vacant dwellings) to their Council Tax charge in each month since April 2013.
2) The number of dwellings which have been charged the additional 50% empty home premium in each month since April 2013.
3) The average time (mean and mode, if possible) for which a dwelling is
a) in receipt of a Class C discount, and
b) being charged the additional empty home premium.
4) The number of dwellings granted a Class C discount to their Council Tax because they were uninhabitable in each month since April 2013.
5) To give some idea of Council Tax revenue to the local authority, I would like to know
a) the sum total of Class C discounts,
b) the average (mean) amount of discount each property received, and
c) the average (mean) percentage of discount that each property received
in GBP for each month since April 2013.
As you can see, I have requested the information to be given for the period April 2013 to the present and by month. However, I understand if a monthly breakdown is not possible, in which case I would appreciate the closest approximation. I would also appreciate it if the information could be provided in a digital format.
This information is held
Please see attached documents
Freedom of Information