FOI request (FOI209089)
Building Construction and Maintenence
Requested Tue 14 March 2017
Responded Tue 14 March 2017
1. Please indicate the average annual cost to the Council of having to rectify building construction or building maintenance works where the works have not complied with the specification.
2. What percentage of the above cost related to building services (e.g. mechanical, electrical, plumbing works and maintenance)?
3. Please indicate, as a percentage, the extent to which the above cost was incurred because the firm(s) involved did not possess the requisite technical capability(ies).
4. Please indicate the amount of retentions held over the last 5 years by the Council for building construction or building maintenance works.
5. What percentage of the above amount was used for the purpose of rectifying work because the appointed firms failed to do so?
Q1 - Zero annual cost - Hastings Borough Council does not pay additional sums to any of its contractors to correct work that is not compliant with its specifications. It is put right at the contractor's expense or they risk having deductions made from any retention monies held and losing the opportunity to work for the Council in the future. Q2 - See answer to Q1 above. Q3 - Zero percent. In compliance with current public sector procurement rules and health and safety regulations, the Council does not appoint firms without first satisfying themselves that they possess the capability to carry out the work. Q4 - 10% of the value of invoices under the Council's maintenance work term contract is retained for six months. Generally 5% of the value of invoices on JCT, IIC and NEC contracts is retained whilst works are underway which reduces to 2.5% after practical completion which is then held for a further 6 or 12 months depending upon the nature of the works. Q5 - Zero percent. Please refer to answer to Q1 above.
Freedom of Information
Got a question about freedom of information?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Council's Information Officer.