FOI request (FOIR-479041378)
Council electricity tariffs and renewable electricity generation
Requested Tue 17 January 2023
Responded Tue 24 January 2023
I would like information about your council's electricity sources in relation to climate action for the Council Climate Action Scorecards. This information may be held by an estates department or similar.
In particular, please supply me with information relating to the following questions:
1. Does the council have a 100% renewable green electricity tariff for all of the electricity that the council is directly responsible for, and is this tariff with Green Energy UK plc, Good Energy Limited or Ecotricity?
This includes all electricity that the council is directly responsible for, in council offices and any other buildings leased and managed by the council where the council pays the electricity tariff. This does not include homes owned or managed by the council. If unsure, please state your provider and tariff.
2. Does the council generate and use energy from waste? And if so, what percentage of the council's total electricity use is powered by these energy from waste electricity sources?
3. Does the council buy directly from a local renewable electricity source or have its own renewable electricity sources? And if so, what percentage of the council's total electricity use is powered by this/these renewable electricity sources?
This includes council owned renewable electricity sources that are located outside of the council area, such as solar farms located further south to maximise electricity generation.
1. The majority of the electricity supplied that the council is directly responsible for is supplied by Ecotricity. There are some outlier sites that are under contract with other providers, but these will be brought in line with the majority supply in due course.
3. The Council currently has two Solar PV systems on its owned and operated buildings that supply around 5% of the councils electricity demand.
Freedom of Information