FOI request (FOIR-425846440)
Requested Mon 30 May 2022
Responded Wed 06 July 2022
Despite routinely carrying out important and vital work to support their communities, local councils are facing significant funding challenges. We are carrying out a Freedom of Information request to try and ascertain the scale of the funding challenge that local councils are facing in the medium-term future. Please can you answer the following questions:
In reference to council funding as whole:
1. What is your current predicted funding gap by the end of the financial year 2023/24?
2. What is your current predicted cumulative funding gap by the end of the financial year 2024/25?
In reference to council funding and efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions:
3. Has your council estimated the costs of reaching net zero greenhouse gas emissions?
4. How much does your council estimate reaching net zero will cost?
5. Can your council access enough funding to be able to deliver your emission reduction ambitions?
1. The Budget Update report taken to Cabinet on 6th June 2022 indicated a predicted funding gap of £3.532m for 2023/24.
2. The Budget Update report taken to Cabinet on 6th June 2022 indicated a predicted funding gap of £3.558m for 2024/25.
4. Hastings Borough Council has not made an estimate of the cost of reaching net zero.
5. We can access funding for some projects, for example fuel poverty/ retrofitting, influence large investments like the Town Deal Programme. We are impacted by capacity internally to apply and deliver, tight timescales of some of the funding that the Government promotes, there is not enough available to deliver at the scale and pace required to meet net zero ambitions through grant funding alone.
Freedom of Information