FOI request (FOIR-417874103)
Flood History Data
Requested Tue 26 April 2022
Responded Fri 21 October 2022
Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.
The map provided came from the 2014 SFRA update, the data source for layers that are shown on that map are:
Main Rivers - Environment Agency dataset (not our data)
Ordinary Water Courses - Environment Agency dataset (not our data)
Culverts - Environment Agency dataset (not our data)
Historic Flooding Outline - Environment Agency dataset (not our data)
We are able to provide the following in respect of this request:
The Hastings flood plan contain the following information for historical flooding:
• February 2014 - 4 gardens and basements were reported flooded along Bexhill Road, affected by the Bexhill Road Sewer watercourse.
• Combe Haven Holiday Park was also flooded during the same event from the levels in the Combe Haven - cause by rain and tide locking
• July 2009 - 31 properties along Stonehouse Drive, Blackman Avenue and Old Hollington Lane when 115mm fell in 4 hours on the Hollington catchment. Blockages from debris have exacerbated flooding in the past.
• One hundred properties along the A259 Bexhill Road suffered basement flooding in 2001 and Seaside Road properties have flooded with sewage. Properties around White Bridge and Bulverhythe Road are liable to flooding.
• The Lower Tier Playing Field near Bulverhythe Recreation Ground frequently floods following heavy rain. In Bulverhythe railway operations and cycle track can be affected by storm conditions. There have been no major breaches or incidents of overtopping of this flood defence for the last 30 years: some seepage through the beach into the gardens of Arnside Road has occurred, but with minimal effect to property and negligible damage. In Hastings spray overtopping can affect Carlisle Parade and Rock-a-Nore Car Park
• During flooding of 2014, areas of the Combe Haven Caravan Park flooded from high river levels. Since 2014 the caravan park has improved its flood defences and the Park management has site-specific flood monitoring and response arrangements in place and may be able to contribute resources to the multi-agency response. A representative will be invited to Tactical meetings. Please note, it is possible the Combe Haven Caravan Park could flood from coastal flooding.
There has also been flooding in South Terrace recently, see https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/people/hastings-property-destroyed-by-flash-flood-pictures-show-extent-of-damage-3277034
Freedom of Information
Got a question about freedom of information?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Council's Information Officer.