FOI request (FOIR-350263404)
Biodiversity Net Gain
Requested Mon 19 July 2021
Responded Fri 30 July 2021
I would like to request, under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, the following information:
1. When is the Local Planning Authority planning to introduce Biodiversity Net Gain as a mandatory requirement for all small development projects in the LPA's jurisdiction? Please provide a specific date and a short definition of what the LPA classes as a 'small development project'.
2. If a specific date has not yet been decided, does your Local Planning Authority intend to introduce a requirement for planning applications to include localised Biodiversity Net Gain plans for small development projects within the 24 months following the passing of the Environment Bill? (Please define 'Biodiversity Gain Plan' as any document that is analogous to the type of document specified in the Environment Bill).
3. Is there any material that sets out what criteria a Biodiversity Gain Plan needs to meet in order to be accepted by the authority for a small development project? If such material exists please can it be attached to your response. If such material does not exist, please provide a brief description of what criteria a Biodiversity Gain Plan needs to meet within your LPA. (Again, please define 'Biodiversity Gain Plan' as any document that is analogous to the type of document specified in the Environment Bill).
4. Who is the official at your Local Planning Authority that is tasked with ensuring that Biodiversity Net Gain is implemented for the LPA?
5. Does the LPA's approach to Net Gain require all 'Biodiversity Gain Plans' to be produced by an accredited ecologist?
1. This is not a request for recorded information - however, information for this and definitions of development can be found in the National Planning Policy Guidance:
National Planning Practice Guidance - https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/planning-practice-guidance
National Planning Policy Guidance - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-planning-policy-framework
2. See No 1
3. See No 1
4. Breaches of planning control investigated by our Planning Enforcement Team.
5. This is not a request for recorded information.
To be helpful Biodiversity Net Gain is being explored under the emerging new Local Plan - for details see the Regulation 18 draft Plan including draft Development Policy 5 (DP5) Biodiversity and Table 5.3.
The draft Plan can be viewed at https://www.hastings.gov.uk/planning/policy/new-local-plan/consultation/
Freedom of Information
Got a question about freedom of information?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Council's Information Officer.