FOI request (FOIR-339536556)
Requested Thu 03 June 2021
Responded Mon 14 June 2021
I am submitting a request to you under the Freedom of Information act 2000 to answer the following 5 questions to assist me in my work.
1. I firstly wanted to ask are you aware of what percentage of the residents in the area don't actually recycle?
2. Do you know roughly the amount of recycling you get sent every year in tonnes?
3. What percentage of recycling is turned away simply because it's not been cleaned?
4. One of the things we are looking at specifically is single-use plastic in the country, out of the plastic that's sent to you what would you say is the percentage that is actually non-recyclable?
5. We've been thinking especially about glue sticks, glue sticks do vary from the area, specifically in the local area do you advise that they just go into the landfill due to the adhesive?
2. We collect c.6300t of dry recycling pa and c.2000t of green waste pa.
3. The contamination rate at the material recovery facility is between 5-10%. This is mostly due to inappropriate items being placed into the recycling bins. We do not have figures on reject loads due to the cleanliness of the recycling.
4. Information not held.
5. No. In this area they would not go to Landfill as the residual waste collected is treated at an Energy Recovery Facility.
Freedom of Information