FOI request (FOIR-330595813)
Requested Fri 30 April 2021
Responded Tue 25 May 2021
1. Which method for collecting recycling glass do you complete? (kerbside or co-mingled for example)
2a. Have you completed any noise assessments for refuse recycling collection services?
2b. If yes, have these been completed for exposure to the workforce or for environmental noise?
3. If you have completed noise assessments for noise exposure to the workforce of recycling refuse collections, can you please provide the information with exposure levels? (Sound level readings, dosimeter readings or noise assessment reports)
4. If you have not completed noise assessments for recycling refuse collection services, can you provide the rationale for not completing these? (Working environmental noise or other hazards)
5a. Do you consider any existing noise induced hearing loss when recruiting a new employee as a recycling refuse loader?
5b. Or, when contracting agency staff, as refuse loaders?
6a. Do you provide recycling refuse collection loaders with any personal hearing protection?
6b. If yes, what type?
6c. If no, the rationale for not? (may be similar to question 4 response)
1. Co-mingled glass and mixed recyclable material
2a. Noise assessments have been completed centrally for standard collections methodologies. Local assessments are arranged if a specific requirement is identified.
2b. These have been completed for noise exposure to the workforce.
3. There are high numbers of variables between the materials being collected, the vehicles being used and the volume of material in the vehicle at the time of tipping so we are not in a position to be able to share this information.
5a. Yes, as part of the recruitment process all staff complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire. For front line colleagues this includes questions on previous occupational noise exposure, any specific work environments that should be avoided and whether noise will be a hazard associated with their new job role.
5b. Yes, our agency provider also conduct pre-employment questionnaires and as part of their managed service conduct occupational health screening.
6c. Personal hearing protection has not been provided where the results of noise assessments have not identified any areas of concern.
Freedom of Information
Got a question about freedom of information?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Council's Information Officer.