FOI request (FOIR-330314502)
IT Equipment Donated to Community
Requested Thu 29 April 2021
Responded Wed 19 May 2021
We have read in the media recently about the need for devices in the local UK communities for disadvantaged people. May we please ask under FOI for details about old technology and what is currently happening with the old technology at your organisation:
1. In particular, how many computer users there are at your organisation in total, where the old computer and other technology and electronic items are going when they are replaced by newer items and what percentage is going to help those in the local UK community that can not afford computers?
2. Our previous FOI and researched showed that many public organisations sell their old tech to scrap companies and the markets for old tech scrap are generally abroad for scrap contractors used by council and other large organisations including schools with one scrap company alone stating that they export over 50,000 computer items per month. Therefore, may we please ask for the information/data on your plans to comply with the UK climate change act and deal with scope 3 emissions from transport during the export of containers overseas? May we also ask for any data held regarding emissions and particular scope 3 emissions relating to old technology from your organisation?
3. May we also please ask, what you currently have in terms of outdated, unplugged, or unused no longer needed laptops, computers, or other electronics in your storage that we can collect for our long-standing local-focused UK solution that helps homeless youth in need, care leavers, pensioners who can not afford a computer, refugees and others disadvantaged people and if not would it be possible to put a date in the diary for the next collection please? May we suggest 5th, 6th or 10th May 2021 for the next collection?
4. If the council / organisation has recently changed its policy to allow local reuse and access to local organisations to its old still usable tech, may we please ask how can we also be added to this list of organisations that the equipment is 'offered to before disposal' and receive equal treatment as those organisations?
5. If the council / organisation has a listing of organisations on its website that can collect old still usable items for the UK community we would appreciate equal treatment and kindly request to be added to that list. Our details and website address are below.
2. Information not held.
3. This is not a request for information.
4. Not applicable.
5. Not applicable.
Freedom of Information
Got a question about freedom of information?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Council's Information Officer.