FOI request (FOIR-312401538)
Requested Tue 02 March 2021
Responded Wed 17 March 2021
Between the dates of 16th March 2020 and 1st March 2021, please tell me:
1. How many people, or concerns, contacted the council to advise of an illegal eviction by a landlord in the area you cover?
2. How many of these cases have been investigated and by whom?
3. How many of these cases have resulted in a court order?
4. How many of these cases of illegal evictions were because tenants fell into rent arrears due to the pandemic?
5. How many tenants who have been illegally evicted are now in hostels and other temporary accommodation?
6. How many of these cases involve children?
7. How many have been offered alternative housing outside of the borough and how far away? (Please answer in miles)
Q1. 2x households presented as homeless where the reason for 'loss of Assured Shorthold Tenancy' was recorded as 'Illegal eviction'. We advise households to contact Brighton Housing Trust (BHT) https://www.bht.org.uk/ for help and advice with illegal evictions.
Q2. Of the 2x cases in Q1 above: 1x Housing Officer tried unsuccessfully to make contact with the landlord on a number of occasions, 1x Housing Officer advised household to contact BHT, they are still in the property now.
Q3. 2x no court order was obtained in these cases.
Q4. These 2x cases were not COVID-19 related.
Freedom of Information
Got a question about freedom of information?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Council's Information Officer.