FOI request (FOIR-165411877)
CPN and PSPOs
Requested Fri 03 January 2020
Responded Wed 26 February 2020
I am writing to you under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to request the following information regarding Community Protection Notices (CPNs) and Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs):
1) The number of CPN warnings issued from October 2018 - December 2019;
2) The number of CPNs issued from October 2018 - December 2019;
3) Brief details of the circumstances/reasons why each of the CPN warnings and CPNs were issued;
4) The number of breaches of those CPNs;
5) The number of fines/Fixed Penalty Notices imposed for failure to comply with those CPNs;
6) Details of the fines imposed/other court orders made;
7) The number of PSPOs issued from January 2019 - December 2019, and those in consideration for the future;
8) The detrimental activity that those PSPOs sought to target;
9) The number of fines/Fixed Penalty Notices issued for breach of those PSPOs;
10) Details of the fines imposed for failure to comply with those PSPOs;
11) If the council is using private contractors to enforce PSPOs: stating the company and relevant PSPO, as well as whether there is a financial incentive to issue fines.
Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.
1. 42 Community Protection Notices (CPNs warnings issued from October 2018 to December 2019.
2. 10 CPNs issued from October 2018 to December 2019.
3. Litter on private land; causing harassment, alarm or annoyance to members of the public; consuming alcohol within a restricted area; possession of an open container containing alcohol within the restricted area; failed to engage with officers from the police or local authority, acting in the lawful execution of their duty, having reason to speak to you in respect of your involvement, or suspected involvement, in anti-social or criminal activity; standing or waiting around cash machines and shop entrances and other public spaces in a restricted area requesting, begging or receiving money from members of the public; loitering with any article so as to reasonably give another person the impression you are begging or intending to be, in any public open spaces within a restricted area.
4. 38 different breaches of these CPNs.
5. 2 fines issued for CPN prosecutions.
i) pleaded guilty, conditional discharge for 9 months, victim surcharge £20, costs £120.
ii) proven in absence, £50 fine for CPN breach, victim surcharge of £32, costs £50.
7. and 8. Two Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPOs) for dog control and anti-social behaviour came into force on Monday 12 June 2017. https://www.hastings.gov.uk/my_community/community_safety/pspo.
9. and 10. 54 for dog off lead; 4 for dog fouling; 2 for Dog in areas during exclusion periods i.e. beach and specific gardens; 8 for Prohibited Drinking of Alcohol; 2 for failing to surrender alcohol, 1 for antisocial behaviour.
11. We are not using contractors to enforce FPNs at this time.
Freedom of Information