FOI request (FOIR-130063103)
2019 EP elections
Requested Wed 10 July 2019
Responded Fri 02 August 2019
I am a research associate with *****, a campaign for the rights of EU27 citizens in the UK. In this capacity I am collecting and analysing information related to difficulties EU citizens had to register to vote in the recent European elections last May, which resulted in some being turned away from polling stations on the election day.
Our initial research indicates these problems were caused by the statutory voter registration process (i.e. the requirement of a separate UC1 form, and the fact the form is only valid for 12 months). The aim of our this enquiry is to gain a better understanding of the scale of this process across the country.
Therefore, I am writing to you under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to request the following information from your Electoral Registration Office:
1. The number of EU27 citizens resident in the local authority's area who were on the electoral register on 7 May 2019 (or as near that date as possible) broken down by the country of citizenship (if possible).
2. The number of EU27 citizens who voted in the 2019 European Parliament Election.
3. The dates when the responsible officers started and finished posting UC1/EC6 forms.
4. The number of UC1/EC6 forms posted between these dates.
5. Were prepaid envelopes included with UC1/EC6 forms, and if so was it 1st or 2nd class post?
6. Did the responsible officers accept UC1/EC6 forms sent by email?
7. The number of UC1/EC6 forms returned before the deadline of 7th May?
8. The number of UC1/EC6 forms returned after the deadline of 7th May and accepted, if any?
9. The number of UC1/EC6 forms returned after the deadline and not accepted (that is, where electors were not registered).
10. What was the number of complaints (if any) received in relation to UC1/EC6 form and / or registration of EU27 citizens for European elections?
11. How was the data gathered from UC1/EC6 registration forms shared with the Secretary of State, Electoral Commission and / or other EU member states?
12. When was the data gathered from UC1/EC6 registration forms in respect of this election shared with the Secretary of State, Electoral Commission and / or other EU member states?
13. Please provide a breakdown of all UC1/EC6 forms you received by the country of citizenship.
14. Do you still hold data that would allow you to answer the above questions in relation to the 2014 European Parliament elections?
15. If an EU national was registered to vote in your local authority area by 7 May 2019 but has not returned a UC1/EC6 form before that date, or such a form has been returned but has not been processed, what prevented you from allowing them to vote provided a UC1/EC6 form is returned by the close of the poll?
Please provide the information in an electronic format most convenient for you.
I appreciate EROs are not a public authority under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, but understand the Electoral Commission's guidance states they should where possible disclose requested information. Your assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Q1 - 2200 Approximately
Q2 - This information is not available
Q3 - Start date 10/04/2019, end date 06/05/2019
Q4 - 2200 Approximately
Q5 - Yes, 1st Class
Q6 - Yes
Q7 - 590 Approximately
Q8 - None
Q9 - This information is not available
Q10 - None
Q11 - Via secure information exchange as per cabinet office instructions
Q12 - In accordance with Cabinet Office timescales
Czech Republic 14
Q14 - No information held
Q15 - Legislation provides a final date upon which applications for registration can be made, and other than correction of clerical error, no further alternations to the register can be made
Freedom of Information
Got a question about freedom of information?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Council's Information Officer.