FOI request (FOIR-123722960)
Requested Mon 10 June 2019
Responded Tue 30 July 2019
Please treat this email as a Freedom of Information Act 2000 request.
I am writing a book which includes information on the enforcement of the Zoo Licensing Act 1981. I would be grateful if you could provide me with the information below in order to assist me in my work.
1. Please could you list any zoos currently operating in your area and whether or not those zoos are subject to any dispensations under s.14 of the Act.
2. If any zoos have closed down since July 2014, please could you provide me with the names of those zoos.
3. For any zoos which have been granted a dispensation under s.14 of the Zoo Licensing Act, please could you let me know the date when the zoo's dispensation status was assessed to ensure that it is still relevant.
4. For every zoo (including any zoos which have closed down) for which such information is held, please could you provide me with the following for a period beginning the 1st July 2014 to 1 June 2019.
a. Current and historic zoo licences (including any conditions attached to the licences)
b. All zoo inspection reports (formal, informal and special)
c. Any available pre-inspection audits
d. All animal stocklists held by the council
e. Any correspondence between the zoo and the local authority with regard to licensing
f. Copies of any "Directions" issued to the zoo under s.16 of the Zoo Licensing Act 1981 for failure to comply with licence conditions
5. In addition, if any of the zoos also hold licences under the Pet Animals Act 1951, please could you provide me with (for the same period as above):
a. Current and historic pet shop licences (including any conditions attached to the licence)
b. All inspection reports
Hastings Borough Council has one Zoo (Blue Reef Aquarium) which has been in operation for the past 15 years and holds a dispensation under the Act. It is inspected annually by LA inspectors and every 3 years by a DEFRA appointed Zoo inspector (vet), the last such inspection being ion June 2018.
Please find attached documents as requested.
In relation to question 5, our response is none.
Freedom of Information