FOI request (FOIR-120494254)
Armed forces recruitment
Requested Thu 23 May 2019
Responded Mon 10 June 2019
Armed forces recruitment and promotional activities in public spaces
We are doing research into different policy approaches that local authorities take towards armed forces recruitment and promotional activity in public spaces and public events.
I would be grateful if you could provide information on the following:
1. Does the council allow promotional and recruitment activities by the armed forces in public spaces/events?
2. If yes to 1., does the council allow weapons and military vehicles to be part of these activities?
3. If yes to 1., what is the procedure for the armed forces to undertake these activities?
4. What is the council's policy on children (under 18 years old) handling military weapons in public spaces/events?
5. What policies inform the council's position on this, in relation to event licensing, safeguarding, the Armed Forces Covenant etc.
2. Yes, providing the weapons are de-commissioned.
3. An events application form is completed.
4. The council does not have a policy.
5. We consider each event application individually.
Events are subject to approval by the Police through the Safety Advisory Group for Events and we would expect the event organisers to present their own policies and satisfy us of their safety arrangements.
Freedom of Information