FOI request (FOI224870)
Use of bailiffs/enforcement agents in 2016/17
Requested Wed 25 October 2017
Responded Wed 25 October 2017
Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, we would like to request the following information.
The number of times between 1st April 2016 and 31st March 2017, or the nearest available twelve month period, that private bailiffs/enforcement agents have been instructed to enforce debts to the local authority relating to each of the following;
a. Council Tax
c. Housing Benefit overpayments
d. Business Rates
e. Commercial Rents
f. Any other debt types, including and other overpayments
By "private bailiffs/enforcement agents" we mean those who are self-employed or who work for private companies, including as high court enforcement officers. Please include cases where local authority employees have visited a property to execute a warrant.
2. The number of:
a. Residential properties
b. Business properties
that fall within this local authority area
3. Do you signpost residents to one or more free debt advice agencies as part of your collections process? (Yes/No) If so, which charities?
4. Have you adopted the Standard Financial Statement (or Common Financial Statement) as a tool for objectively assessing income and expenditure as part of your collections process? (Yes/No)
5. Do you have a formal policy in place for dealing with residents in vulnerable circumstances as part of your collections process? (Yes/No)
6. Do you currently have a policy of exempting recipients of Council Tax Support from the use of bailiff action? (Yes/No)
7. Have you adopted the Citizens Advice/Local Government Association Council Tax Protocol? (Yes/No)
Council Tax/Non Domestic Rates
1. Non Domestic Rates - 78
2a. - 43,384
2b. - 3,526
3. - Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) and Hastings Area Representation Centre (HARC)
4. - Yes
5. - Yes
6. - No
7. - No
Housing Benefits Overpayments
Hastings Borough Council do not use Enforcement agents for Over payments of Housing Benefit.
1. - 224
3. - No
4. - Yes
5. - No
6. - No
7. - No
Commercial Rents - Estates
Hastings Borough Council do not use Enforcement agents for commercial rents.
Freedom of Information
Got a question about freedom of information?
ContentThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Council's Information Officer.