FOI request (FOI-94106369)
Access to housing for disabled people
Requested Fri 02 November 2018
Responded Tue 06 November 2018
1. How many people who've stated they have a disability and/or define themselves as disabled are currently on your authorities' waiting list for social housing or council housing? (By social or council housing, I refer to properties owned and managed by you as the local authority, whereby the recipient comes to you to be housed).
2. How many people in total, those with and without a disability, are currently on your waiting list for social or council housing?
3. How many social or council properties do you own and manage in total?
4. How many of the aforementioned properties have full wheelchair access?
5. How many of the aforementioned properties have been adapted in order to meet the needs of a disabled tenant, past or present?
Q1 & Q3 - None, Hastings Borough Council does not own any social housing. The Council's housing stock was transferred to 1066 Housing Association (now Optivo) in 1996 as part of a Large Scale Voluntary Transfer (LSVT). However, we still manage the waiting lists and we nominate households to the Registered Providers.
Q2 - There are currently 1664 households on our housing register, of which the number of households with a mobility level:
Mobility Level 1 = 19
Mobility Level 2 = 53
Mobility Level 3 = 354
- Mobility Level 1 - Typically suitable for a person who uses a wheelchair full time, indoors and outdoors. The property will provide full wheelchair access throughout.
- Mobility Level 2 - Typically suitable to a person with restricted walking ability and for those that may need to use a wheelchair for some of the time. The property will have internal and external level or ramped access, but some parts of the property may not be fully wheelchair accessible.
- Mobility Level 3 - Typically suitable for a person able to manage two or three steps, but unable to manage steep gradients. The property may have adaptations to assist people with limited mobility.
Q4 & Q5 - information not held
Freedom of Information